The molecular density largely determines the properties of the plastic polyethylene. HMPE has a molecular weight of ~ 500,000 g/mol.
Compared to standard PE (HD quality), the HMPE 500 version therefore has better wear and impact resistance. UHMPE (Ultra) has a molecular density of 1000 or higher and is a super wear-resistant plastic.
HMPE is moisture-resistant, fully approved for direct contact with foodstuffs according to the applicable 10/2011 legislation, does not adhere and has a low friction coefficient. This easy-to-process plastic material group is widely used in the transport and transhipment sector, the dairy and canning industry and in machine construction for the food industry.
Differences HMPE 500 and HMPE 1000
- The molecular weight, HMPE 500 has a molecular weight of 500,000g/mol, HMPE 1000 has a molecular weight of 7 to 15 times as much, our UHMPE 1000 has a mole weight of 4,000,000.
- The wear resistance of UHMPE 1000 is approx. 4 to 5 times better than that of HMPE 500.
- UHMPE 1000 is 11 to 17 times stronger than HMPE on impact.
- The price of UHMPE is almost 1x higher than HMPE.
What are the most important technical properties of HMPE?
HMPE stands for High Molecular Poly Ethylene.
An important property of this material is its high wear resistance which, combined with its low friction resistance, makes HMPE highly suitable for applications where conduction is the key issue.
HMPE is used, among other things, for conveyor belts, machine building and the meat processing industry.
The HPME FoodGrade variant is suitable for direct contact with foodstuffs.
Unique features HMPE 500
- Good wear, impact and notch resistance
- Life Suitable (see text above)
- Low adhesion of other materials
- Good mechanical processing
- No to very low moisture absorption
- Processing options
- Water jet cutting
- Laser beam cutting
- Warm bending
- Cold brew
- Thermal forming
What is HMPE 500 sheet used for?
This material is often used in meat and meat products processing, peanut factories and everything related to foodstuffs. HMPE is moisture repellent, does not adhere and has a low coefficient of friction.
The advantages of ordering from Kunststof Forte
Ordering from Kunststof Forte offers you many advantages:
Do you need help? We are happy to help you with expert advice
Do you require a particular finish or size? That is not a problem
Large range and stock
Do you want to order a large quantity? Then ask request a quote. If you have a question about HMPE 500 sheets, please feel free to contact us. Call +31 (0) 622 340 847, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or use the contact form We are ready for you.